Monday, September 22, 2008

Finally!

For the past three years I've been waiting for this day - the first day of fifth grade. In my school, fifth grade is the last grade until middle school so I was pretty excited. This is the year we get to have fifth grade jobs and eat lunch in the courtyard. When I woke up, I wanted to get ready and just race out the door. But it's not that simple in our family. You have to carefully do your hair, get ready, eat a healthy breakfast, make sure your backpack is all ready and take first-day-of-school pictures. When the pictures are all over with (and trust me that takes a long time) we finally get to race up the street. When we got to school I met my super-nice teacher, Miss Ward. She told us all about herself  and then we had Morning Meeting (we say good morning to everyone and talk about things that are going on, look at our schedule and then play a game. Gym was next. We played all different kinds of tag such as Blob Tag and Crab Tag. At the end of the day we had science switch. Mrs. Durkin, our class' science teacher,  told us that we would be studying weather as our first unit. We watched a Brain Pop and then wrote down that day's weather in our notebooks including the temperature, air pressure, humidity, and cloud cover. Then I took the short bus ride home, my backpack heavy with all my homework. I was happy to be heading home to my family again and the yummy after-school snack waiting for me.

4 comments:

Carolyn Ebert said...

It's so fun to hear how excited you are about school. I can tell you are going to have a great year!

P.S. Cute sweatshirt!

Mike Spendlove said...

Emilie, I liked reading about your day at school. Sometimes I still have yummy after-school snacks too, but I bet they're not as good as the ones your mom makes.

-Mike

David Spendlove said...

Emilie,

How wonderful that you like school so much. I like reading your blog and seeing your pictures becuse it feels like you are here talking to me.

Love, grandpa

Gretta Spendlove said...

I hope you have a wonderful year in fifth grade. I still remember fifth grade, and my fun friends, Vickie and Linda, and my teacher, Mrs. Daley, at Sherman Elementary School. Try to make every day a special day, because you'll remember it all your life. Love, Grandma Gretta