Two weekends ago my family and I had a yard sale. The day before we cleaned out all of our closets. I put a ton of stuff like doll clothes, games, and candles onto tables and boxes. We made warm rice crispy treats and pink lemonade. Jonathan and I set up a stand and sold them for 50 cents each. My mom went to the store and bought poster board for signs. Jonathan and I made colorful signs that we hung on the street posts. We also put a notice in the paper so that hopefully a bunch of people would come. Unfortunately, the next morning only a handful of people trickled in. It turned out that we lost money on the yard sale! The notice in the paper cost $26 and the poster board was $5. We made only $30! My dad felt really disappointed so my mom had to keep telling him nothing was wrong with his sales skills, our stuff, or him. (I think she was teasing him). At least we had fun, we cleaned out our closets and we have a Saturday that we can laugh about.
5 comments:
First of all, that's the most well organized yard sale I've ever seen (That may have been part of the the problem - tell your dad to do a little more market research next time). Second, you are such a good writer! I laughed out loud reading your version. When I was your age, I don't think I could put a coherent sentence together.
Jenny and I talked about how much we wanted to see you guys this summer. We're a little closer now (Chicago), so hopefully we'll make it to Boston more often.
Emilie,
Thanks for your blog - it brought back both tears and laughter. I have to say, I will never hold another yard sale as long as I live. I did enjoy your rice krispie treats, however. You are such a sweetie! And a great writer too.
Emilie,
next time you are in Utah for the summer, I know what we are going to do - grandpa's favorite thing ---a garage sell. You are a pro, plus an amazing grandaughter!
Oh no! We're having a yard sale next weekend. Hopefully your bad luck was a Boston thing and not an Ebert thing!
I bet the lemonade and rice krispy treats were fabulous, even if the garage sale didn't work so well! I wish I could have been there. Love, Grandma Gretta
Post a Comment